Tuesday, March 20, 2012

A HUI HOU

TIL WE MEET AGAIN Aloha Hawaii with the deepest gratitude, Nance...

View our Loren's front door. This is where I stayed my first night — arranged through Airbnb a few weeks before departing Burlington. I highly recommend this site.


 Loren designed and tiled his most amazing shower room with the accent, hand-made tiles produced by an artist friend.



The reclining Buddha, bathed in spotlights, watched over me during my first night's swim at Kalani providing a focal point for swimming meditation. See the little triangle to the left in the picture, it holds meditation pillows for those who'd like to sit and contemplate a while in the more traditional fashion.

Meditation cushions and sunscreen/oil for all to use, protected by little umbrellas.

A view of the FISH BOWL aka Kahalu'u Bay where many colourful fish and turtles come to play amongst the coral, courtesy of the industrious menehune. To the right is a portion of the information posted at the bay that tells the legend of the its formation.
In Hawaiian mythology the Menehune (meh-neh-HOO-neh) were little people who lived hidden in the forests and valleys. They were skilled craftspeople and master builders of great strength who completed their tasks overnight. Click on the photo text to the right to read more about the legend of menehune and Kahalu'u Bay.

Clothes don't dry too well in a rainforest, go figure. I became obsessed with clean, dry laundry so much so that when I got to Bill's at Kailua-Kona and discovered he had a clothes washer and dryer I became strangely compelled to do laundry rather than go to a café. Upon my return from sunset at Magic Beach I immediately set to hand washing some items. But, I had only 1 quarter, not the 3 needed to dry a load. Luckily I brought my trusty clothes line and hooked it up between the chair and the railing.


Back at Kalani, a few days later I lucked into this stand of trees in which to dry my clothes. Here's my other clothes dryer (sitting by the side of the road to Lava Tree Park) which also doubles as transportation. On a hot, sunny, damp day it serves both purposes surprisingly well!

So there you have it, a few more fond memories of my "trip of a lifetime" to the Big Island of Hawaii. I'm sure these and many more will fuel me over the years, filling me with aloha and gratitude.

I haven't blogged much yet about the Big Island Way of the Dreamer workshop with Robert Moss (a magical trip of another kind into the inner depths of soul and spirit) that prompted me to take this journey. More posts to come on this subject.

ALOHA ALL!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment