Saturday, March 10, 2012

Ho'oponopono, donuts & lava fields

I'm sitting at Hale Aloha being pestered by a mooching, short-haired black and brown tabby with a demanding cry as I lick locally made ice cream (tonight's choice is ginger) off of my wooden spoon. Today the rains came with a vengeance but no worries as I'm in paradise and there's always lots to do, or not do, if one so chooses. As a friend of mine says, "It's all good".
I bid farewell to a fellow dreamer a few hours ago. I am now the last of the dreamers left at Kalani and it is bitter sweet. Places like Kalani and workshops such as dreaming reveal how quickly and with what strength one can attach to others and call them "friend". In this safe, respectful atmosphere, the intensity of awareness that we are all just passing through prompts us to share stories of the past, our hopes and dreams for the future. We act from the best of ourselves, co-operate, show kindness and help each other as we can. So we see each other as "friend".

Wed Mar 7
We're in the second last day of the workshop with Robert and our dreams are starting to spill over into each other's lives - past, present and future. Last night snippets of dream images, words and concepts intended for someone else make their presence known in my dreams. Over breakfast a fellow dreamer recounts a dream she knows has a message for me. In the magical way of dreams, her dream becomes central to my experience of the morning journey to the land of the ancestors that Robert has assigned.

I am reminded again and again that in working with dreams (even those with "heavy" energy) when we maintain a sense of play, curiosity and courage, they will ultimately bring us to a place of wisdom and wholeness. Dreaming on it's own doesn't necessarily do this. Bringing the dream's energy forward into our "real" life transforms our attitudes and our life.

LETTER TO ROD...

An amazing day today. I stayed up far too late last night writing. Got to bed at about 12:45 but was up at 7:30. My clothes from the other day are finally dry which makes me very happy. I'm glad that I took so many sarongs as they've really come in handy and dry relatively quickly compared to other items. Cotton socks take the longest!

The dreamwork has been really fascinating especially what happens over 5 days - real transformative stuff! We get to know each other's stories pretty quickly and so see the effects of the work in those "ah ha" moments of realization. 

Kahuna Harry Uhane Jim gave a Webcast from the Emax centre. There were over 70 people attending in person at the centre and approx the same number on the web. He spoke on Ho'oponopono a practice, or rather a Hawaiian way of looking at life, bringing things into right relation, and forgiveness. Then he opened up the floor for question and answer. It was so good to hear him again. He's got such a lovely, gentle, compassionate spirit and has such joy - he's kinda like a laughing Buddha in physical appearance as well as attitude. I didn't talk with him afterwards. I studied with him once a few years ago. He has thousands of students and I'm hardly memorable.  Many from the audience wanted to talk to him about personal concerns and it seemed only right for them to make the connection with him. I am glad to hear that he lives in Buffalo for part of the year which would make future studies with him possible.

the market at uncle Robert's

After the session this afternoon, Anthony, a workshop participant who's become a tour guide of sorts for the group, suggested we go to the market in a town not far away. Louise and Kim were kind enough to take 3 of us in their car. The market took place on uncle Robert's land. Anthony told us that uncle Robert's son died recently and there was an outpouring of community support during the memorial service. This was evidenced by the pictures still posted all around the market. Hawaiians live in community. As I learned the other night, they are all about relationship. 

The market has an amazing array of foods of all sort. I had Thai curried pumpkin chicken with rice, a ginger lemonade (very gingery) and some of those little warm sugar donuts. If it's any consolation I thought of you while I ate. You'd have loved it! 

We met up with a friend of Anthony's who has suggested a reasonably priced place for me to stay overnight if I go to Kona. Everyone's recommending I stay overnight. I gave her my e-mail and will wait and see what happens with that. I have to check out car rental. It helps having driven with the girls to see what conditions I may find on the roads (they were the Canadians that took us to the tide pools). 
Moonlight on the waves at
Kalapana Beach

After we ate we explored the market some more with the sounds of the Hawaiian band in the background. Most of the wares consisted of food and handmade jewellery made of beads, semiprecious stones and wood. I was tempted by one item but it seemed a little steep. I can return next Wed night if I really want.

A real highlight was walking on the relatively recently formed lava field. The last flow that claimed the formerly extensive black beach happened in the '90's. Tonight the moon was full and so the rocks and our path were fairly well lit. It felt like we were at the end of the world or on another planet. We ended up overlooking a black sand beach dotted sparsely with young palm trees. We sat watching for some time, mesmerized by the sight and sound of the rollers crashing on the rocky shore. As we looked back to the land we could see in the distance the orange glow of the active flow on its way to the ocean about a 20 minute drive away. 

We drove home in true Canadian style eating donuts.

Tomorrow is the last day of the dream workshop and I will be sad to see the others leave as most will be heading out in the afternoon. Two have late flights tomorrow night. Four others are staying on a bit: two leave on Fri, one on Sat and the last on Sunday. 

I'm writing this from the kitchen in the hale in which I'm staying. The crickets are chirping, the "crokies" croaking and the gekos make their presence known now and again. And, I have just caved and am eating the last donut as I write this.

No comments:

Post a Comment