Thursday, March 19, 2009

Feeling Beastly

Before I get to the heart of the matter there are 2 things I need to get off of my chest.

First off, I need to work on my books to enable Rod to get my taxes done for 2008, so, of course I am blogging. There, I’ve said it.

Secondly: “John C. Reilly”.
Those were the words that spewed out of my mouth in a “light bulb” moment while Rod and I were, of all things, looking for light bulbs last Sunday – I swear it is the truth. So, there it is Pam and Glyn, the name that was hidden in the deep recesses of my brain on Friday night decided to emerge in all its glory apropos of nothing during our quest. I was going to call you both and just leave the name on your answering machines, nothing else, just the name. But then you’d probably think I was nuts so I didn’t, but it would have been fun, and you already think I’m nuts anyway…

Whew! I feel so relieved now.

So, on to what prompted this blog.

Sometimes don’t ya just feel fowl for no reason at all? You wake up in the morning ticked off, slightly irritable just not yourself somehow. You know that decent sort is in there somewhere, but she’s just not coming out to play today. Well, sometimes life is like that.





This cartoon came in a flash of inspiration. It is only in retrospect that I can see the diverse elements that came together to produce these images. It was a beautiful sunny day in Victoria, B.C., much like today, when I happened to notice a yoga student of mine walking on the other side of the street. His image was reflected in storefront windows as he passed. He looked just like the guy in the first panel. He was slouched, hunched over and his posture radioed a “beastly mood”.

Had he seen me, his yoga teacher, he’d have straightened up and adjusted his posture. And I thought of how “they” say that you never really see yourself because in that fraction of a second before you look in the mirror you’ve already made adjustments – you see the person you want to see.

The situation fit the personality of a character in my cartoon strip and contributed to fleshing out his persona even more.

So there's another “light bulb” moment of a different kind.

Darn, that didn’t take as long as I though it would. I have a few more hours til I meet my friend Barb for coffee. And the accounting books are there awaiting me…maybe I’ll sort out my cupboards, yah that sounds urgent.



(cartoon copyright Nance Thacker 1985. All rights reserved)



No comments:

Post a Comment